Outbreak of 69 #COVID19 cases in 2 schools, plus 20 at daycare centers in one Danish city—all #B117. “Something going on with the infection of [🇬🇧 variant] #B117 among children that we have not seen with the old coronavirus” says an epidemiologist. 🧵 cphpost.dk/?p=122479
Feb 19, 2021 · 11:26 AM UTC
3) Speaking to DR, Viggo Andreasen, an professor at Roskilde University who is swiftly becoming favorite 🇩🇰 epidemiologist, questions whether there is “something going on with the infection of #B117 among children that we have not seen with the old coronavirus”.
4) “If we see more examples, then we must ask ourselves whether it is too risky to open schools to the little ones. This means there is a good risk that infection chains will run for quite some time before we discover them. probably also some parents who have become infected.”
5) Indeed, something did happen recently in Austria and Italy and Israel as well in children.
Sudden Kindergarten outbreak—a once small #COVID19 outbreak in an Austrian🇦🇹 kindergarten exploded from 10 cases Monday to suddenly *32 cases* by Wed—20 cases in kids, 12 adults & caregivers. (Article in German—translation below). HT @hiems_mollis. noen.at/melk/coronavirus-kin…Show this thread
6) This divergence in children also seen in the UK, despite general lockdown. After winter break, positivity in 5-9 year olds higher vs adults after primary partially schools reopening. This wasn’t seen last year at all.
Worrisome—UK 🇬🇧 data shows suddenly higher #COVID19 positivity % in England 🏴 (where #B117 highly dominant) in children ages 5-9, in both boys and girls, sustained each week over 4 consecutive weeks. Ages 0-4 positivity also increasing. Israel 🇮🇱 has also seen kids case trend.Show this thread
7) Similar #B117 outbreak in an Italian village. 60% of cases in young kids.
Holy cow: 10% of the village of Corzano 🇮🇹 has the #B117 variant—10% of all residents! 60% of cases are kids from kindergarten and primary school, other 40% are their parents, says the mayor. Schools in the village now closed. ansa.it/amp/lombardia/notizi…Show this thread
8) Update—the city council of the Danish city of Kolding (site of the school outbreaks above) is now considering shutting down all schools says @TazorNissen.
The city council is now discussing if they should shut down all schools in the town until the infected numbers fall.
9) UK 🇬🇧 positivity trends in kids are due to school reopenings says @dgurdasani1
Infection among children closely tracks school openings and closures (as we saw even during october half term), and level of attendance (trends in secondary schools where attendance is much lower are different). Again in line with substantial transmission occurring in schools.Show this thread
10) Also—Israel is seeing sharp rise in the number of children and teens getting #COVID19, where #B117 rising. >50,000 children have been diagnosed with #COVID19 since start of Jan, many more than Israel saw in any month during the first or second waves. m.jpost.com/health-science/w…
Spike in kids with COVID-19 means Israel unlikely to open schools
“This is something we did not witness in previous waves of coronavirus,” Health Minister Yuli Edelstein told The Jerusalem Post.m.jpost.com
11) “We got a letter from the Israeli Association of Pediatrics that says they are very worried about the rate of disease in younger students,” Health Minister Edelstein said. “This is something we did not witness in previous waves of corona.” —sound familiar to above?
12) Instead of around 29% of new cases coming from children and teens, as in the second wave, now they are around 40% of cases, Public Health Services head Sharon Alroy-Preis said in the Knesset on Monday. The greatest spike was in children between ages of **6 and 9** (familiar?)
14) I’ve alluded to this trend in kids 0-9 before over a month ago in the #B117 data... while kids overall lower risk than adults, #B117 has yielded greater increase in attack rate in kids 0-9 than in those over age 10, compared to the older common strain.
BAD CORONAVIRUS VARIANT DATA—Folks, the B117 #SARSCoV2 variant from 🇬🇧 is a dangerous *hellish beast*. This new UK data shows attack rates (% exposed who get infected) of B117 vs common variants: B117 has 33-36% higher attack rate overall. It’s also maybe worse in kids.🧵#COVID19Show this thread
15) A similar #B117 driven outbreak in a cluster of 7 neighboring schools in British Columbia 🇨🇦 also is eerily reminiscent of the Danish B117 school outbreak.
📍OUTBREAK OF #B117 AT SEVEN SCHOOLS—sudden outbreak of #COVID19 cases at a British Columbia 🇨🇦—all elementary and middle schools. Genetic sequencing shows #b117 in early cases linked to outbreak. Classes quarantined. All the schools still remain open. 🧵 cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c…Show this thread