Holy cow: 10% of the village of Corzano 🇮🇹 has the #B117 variant—10% of all residents! 60% of cases are kids from kindergarten and primary school, other 40% are their parents, says the mayor. Schools in the village now closed. ansa.it/amp/lombardia/notizi…
Feb 5, 2021 · 7:58 AM UTC
2) Israel is seeing a sharp rise in the number of children and teens getting infected with coronavirus, according to 🇮🇱 Health Ministry. “This is something we did not witness in previous waves of coronavirus,” Health Minister Yuli Edelstein said.#COVID19 m.jpost.com/health-science/w…
Spike in kids with COVID-19 means Israel unlikely to open schools
“This is something we did not witness in previous waves of coronavirus,” Health Minister Yuli Edelstein told The Jerusalem Post.m.jpost.com
4) Schools are closed in this Italian village until Feb 8th. But it might be extended because of the new outbreak. tg24.sky.it/milano/2021/02/0…
Variante Covid, Corzano: focolaio in paese, chiuse le scuole
Leggi su Sky TG24 l'articolo Variante Covid, Corzano: focolaio in paese, chiuse le scuoletg24.sky.it
5) More on pediatric transmission. There is a phase shift that happens if cases are no longer low in a community.
This 🧵 makes the clear case that school transmission of #COVID19 does occur, and increases when cases levels rise—which then further drives school transmission. It’s a deep analytical thread but that’s the Bottomline. Schools are not impervious to transmission.Show this thread
6) this is the most detailed explanation of school transmission. Current data is biased because children are rarely / less frequently tested.
I've been a hearing a lot about how children are more infectious *now* & contribute to transmission because of the B117 variant, but didn't before. This is a myth. Children & schools have always played an important role in transmission. Time to lay this to rest. Thread.Show this thread
7) Here is the other major looming problem in this pandemic.... its diverging into two. And the new strain will likely launch a new surge.
⚠️TWO DIFFERENT #COVID19 PANDEMICS—Many think with cases dropping that pandemic is nearly over. But truth is, there are now 2 different #SARSCoV2 pandemics diverging—old strain is waning, while the more contagious #B117 strain is dominating. We will be soon slammed very hard. 🧵Show this thread
8) We need to call a spade a spade. I’m the biggest supporter of the hardworking scientists at the CDC... but something isn’t making sense with indoor cafeteria unmasked school lunches....
I’m trying hard to square this: 📍CDC this weekend: not really safe to have a #SuperBowl party with people outside your home. 📍Also CDC: it’s safe for teachers to teach kids/teens, in person, indoors, 5 days/week. 🤔...and let loud kids eat at lunch indoors unmasked? #COVID19Show this thread
9) we are back to SQUARE ONE if we don’t stop these damn variants with tricky mutations that evade even our previous antibodies. Because look at what fresh hell we discovered this week... Fauci is even worried.
Worrisome discovery—Among placebo group for Novavax’s vaccine in South Africa🇿🇦: people with prior #COVID19 infections appeared just as likely to get sick as people without prior infections—means past infection wasn’t fully protective for #B1351 variant.🧵 washingtonpost.com/health/20…Show this thread
10) latest U.K. data on infection positivity in kids.... much higher relatively to adults.
Worrisome—UK 🇬🇧 data shows suddenly higher #COVID19 positivity % in England 🏴 (where #B117 highly dominant) in children ages 5-9, in both boys and girls, sustained each week over 4 consecutive weeks. Ages 0-4 positivity also increasing. Israel 🇮🇱 has also seen kids case trend.Show this thread
11) the Italian village outbreak of 60% of cases in kids matches this new outbreak in kindergartners in another Austrian town. Unknown variant yet.
Sudden Kindergarten outbreak—a once small #COVID19 outbreak in an Austrian🇦🇹 kindergarten exploded from 10 cases Monday to suddenly *32 cases* by Wed—20 cases in kids, 12 adults & caregivers. (Article in German—translation below). HT @hiems_mollis. noen.at/melk/coronavirus-kin…Show this thread
12) Now there is a full blown national outbreak in kids in Italy 🇮🇹 from #B117. See detailed thread 🧵 below.
KIDS EPIDEMIC in Italy 🇮🇹—#B117 variant among Italy's infected schoolchildren and is helping to fuel a “robust” uptick in the curve of #COVID19–with higher transmission rates "among the youngest age group” of the population. finance.yahoo.com/news/virus…Show this thread